Jerusalem, Travel Inspiration

MYSTERY OF WOODEN WOOD IN THE HOLY CHURCH OF SEPULCHRE

The Church of the Holy Sepulchre recognise as the site of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ from the beginning of Byzantium.

To this day is one of the most visited tourist spots in Jerusalem. A place that has profound religious significance. This vast church displays an incompatible architectural style. Inside there are 30-plus chapels and confusing prayer rooms.

Every inch of the church control by several different branches of the Christian Church, which has historically been somewhat contradictory. Under the Status Quo decree imposed by the Ottoman Turks in 1757, ownership of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher divided between Greek, Orthodox, Catholic and Armenian Orthodox.

The Church of the Holy Sepulcher or the Church of the Holy Sepulchre look very small compare to the great cathedrals in Italy, Spain, and France. Nevertheless, this simple measure the profound significance.

The agreement between the main Christian community in the church allowed restoration to begin in May 2016 to strengthen and restore edicule (= little house). This million dollar restoration completed in March 2017.

The best time to come is in the morning and come out before noon.

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

The Church of the Holy Sepulcher is located northwest of the Old City of Jerusalem. Constantine the Great first built the church on this site.

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

The Immovable Ladder or The stationary ladder. It is made of cedar wood, possibly from Lebanon, it was first mentioned in 1757 and has remained in that location since the 18th century.

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

Armenian Chapel of Saint John is in the courtyard of the Holy Sepulchre.

 

EDICULE

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

A stone edicule (“little house” – also written Aedicule) located in round hall (Rotunda). It is  where Jesus buried for three days and  risen from the dead. This is the final station of the Via Dolorosa.

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

Tiny Coptic chapel attached to the edicule.

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

Dome.

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

Christ’s tomb.

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrechurchjerusalem

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrejerusalem

Sultan Saladin entrusted Muslim families since 1187 with care of holy Christian site for centuries. By entrusting the Muslim family with church’s key, he hoped to avoid clashes among rival Christian sects for control over the church. Every morning and night, a monk must come to the door which is unlocked or locked by a Muslim man. He holds the keys to the church and climbs a ladder and locks the door. He then passes the ladder through a square window in the door, so it can remain inside until opening time.

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrejerusalem

 

tiarapermata@holysepulchrejerusalem

 

 

 

Facebook Comments

This post is also available in: Indonesian